In our series on the Best Startup Business 2014, we’re sharing details of great new ventures to keep an eye on this year and beyond.
Startups To Watch In 2014Today we’re looking at a startup that is helping people who are suffering from an everyday problem. If you want to see more great startups, click here: Best Startup Businesses.
Sense of SkinWhen we looked into the painful world of skin irritants, here’s what we found just for the UK (these numbers are for the UK but they apply elsewhere around the world):
- 68% of the UK population suffer from sensitive skin.
- On average, women expose their skin to on average 168 unique chemicals every day.
- 44% of the total UK population experience skin reactions.
How Does It Work?Imagine you use skin or beauty products and suffer from skin reactions or allergies. Sense of Skin begins by building a profile of your skin. As it learns about your triggers, it creates a detailed profile that will help you prevent reactions. When you’re next in a shop, you can use your personalised mobile phone app to scan the barcode on skin products and check if it will be ok to use on your skin.Very simple. To make all this happen, Sense of Skin have built a proprietary platform which incorporates:
- A unique proﬁle-creating algorithm.
- An extensive personal care product database (21,000 chemicals and 12,000 products).
- A comprehensive skin trigger database (featuring hundreds of skin irritation triggers).
- Personalised, independent, scientiﬁc guidance provided to each customer via mobile.