Moving Abroad – 100+ Helpful Resources and Guides
Moving abroad can be hard.
The team at CurrencyFair is brimming with expats and our customers are based all over the world so we know what it’s like to move to another country.
Moving overseas is very exciting and can be a wonderful opportunity to meet new people, experience new cultures, or just mix things up a bit.
We want to help keep it fun so we’ve come up a list of over 100 different websites and apps that will help you in your great adventure.
100+ Helpful Resources for Moving Abroad
To make things easier, we’ve broken the list of resources into categories. They are:
Moving to another country is a big job so we’d better get moving.
Before we start though, don’t forget to share this resources page with your family and friends – you can use the social sharing buttons at the end of this page.
Websites To Help You Move Abroad
Here’s the list of websites to help you move abroad . . .
These information websites cover a wide range of topics across the majority of countries.
- The CurrencyFair Blog (sorry, we couldn’t help ourselves – it’s just packed with so much goodness)
- Just Landed – Handy website for people living in another country.
- InterNations – The world’s largest expatriate network helps you prepare your move with a wealth of informational articles on popular expat destinations in more than 70 countries.
- Move Abroad Now – City by city guides to the most popular destinations for expats and adventurers alike!
- International Living – Articles, news, classifieds, information on retirement, and living abroad from International Living.
- Easy Expat – All about moving Abroad, Immigration and Visas for a successful expatriation. They also have a excellent Job Offers section, in case you haven’t lined up employment already!
- Expat Focus – Information and advice for expats living abroad. Learn about jobs, visas, banking, insurance, property, retirement overseas.
- Expatriates – The community web site created for and by expatriates and internationally minded people everywhere!
- Compare My Move – Established in 2012, Compare My Move compare up to 6 quotes from pre-verified removal companies. Users can save up to 70% on removal costs.
- Movehub.com City Guide Listings – Movehub “helps you make an informed decision about wherever you want to move to“, providing information on cities across the globe ranging from the social scene, local attractions, education, crime rates and many other factors you might not find elsewhere.
- Expat Info Desk – Expat Info Desk is an online resource specializing in international relocation guide services. They offer e-books that provide information on popular expat cities and destinations throughout the world.
- CIA World Fact Book – Who knew the CIA was a fun-loving travel agency?
- Trip Advisor – Free app & travel guide to 80 of the world’s top cities including New York, Rio de Janeiro, London, Beijing, Cape Town and more!
- World Travel Guide – Travel Guides for countries, cities, ski resorts, airports and cruise destinations worldwide.
- Wiki Travel – A crowdsourced (like Wikipedia) travel guide.
- Perfect Days – Share your favourite way to spend 24 hours anywhere in the world or plan your next trip.
- Around Me – Find services and places depending on your location.
- Cheap Flights – The name gives it away.
- Parkopedia – Helps find you a parking space anywhere in the world.
- Uber – Easily book a car to pick you up.
- Utrip – Trip planning website.
- Trip Case – From seat maps and weather forecasts, to alternate flights and driving directions, TripCase provides valuable tools to make your journey as stress-free as possible.
- Trip It – Easily manage your move by uploading and storing all your travel details.
- Flights With Friends – A handy way to plan a move collaboratively with friends.
- Sky Scanner – Helps you find flights and car bookings for your move.
- HopStop – Helps you with travel directions anywhere.
- Trip Advisor – A wide range of travel information to help plan your move with hotels, flights, etc.
- FlightTrack – Lists information for over 1,400 airlines and 3,000 airports worldwide.
- Expat Forum – One of the largest international expatriate communities on the internet, the site serves the most popular Expat destinations across all continents of the globe.
- Expat Exchange – Forum for discussion of a variety of living abroad topics.
- InterNations – More than 1.1 million members in 390 cities around the globe are happy to discuss any aspect of living abroad, be it general or specific, with you.
- Irish Around Oz – A forum which connects Irish people who have moved to Australia.
- Travel With Kate – We’ve met Kate and love her fun travel information videos from around the world.
- Miss Move Abroad – Variety of moving abroad articles.
- Travelling Mama – Something a little different. Talented designer, blogger and mother shares her view of expat life.
- Four Square – Helps you find popular places to check out in your new location.
- Meet Up – Great site for meeting others.
- A Portable Identity – Insightful book for spouses of people being transferred abroad.
- Soundwave – Find out what music the locals are listening to and join in the fun.
- Expat Research – Research and support on expats and global mobility.
Vincent House have a handy list of resources, including sports clubs and volunteering opportunities, to help you settle into the London area should you find yourself in the capital for an extended visit.
- Moving Abroad With Children – Good information to help you move with children.
- Expat Child – Excellent site for families who have moved abroad with children.
- Travel With Your Kids – TravelWithYourKids is written by parents, for parents. Useful articles and resources to help you with the move.
- While Abroad – Parenting While Abroad was setup to be a clearinghouse where expats and travellers can share information about how to effectively parent while living oversees.
- Khan Academy – Free online education courses for children anywhere in the world.
- Craigslist – Classified advertisements worldwide.
- Gumtree – Classified advertisements in a number of countries.
- Expatriates.com – Expat information and classifieds website.
- Country Code.org – Listing of international dialing codes.
- International White and Yellow Pages – International phone directory.
- Facebook – Yes, obvious, we know, but it’s a great way to stay in touch with the folks back home!
- Skype – Free video phone calls with your loved ones back home.
- Google Drive – Handy way to store your documents, photos and files online and download them anywhere in the world.
- Dropbox – Put your stuff in Dropbox and get to it from your computers, phones, or tablets. Edit docs, automatically add photos, and show off videos from anywhere.
- Viber – An alternative to Skype.
- Irish Postbox – a secure online mail management and mail forwarding solution that offers a simple way to access your Irish postal mail anywhere you are connected to the internet.
- Online Conversion – Online Conversion is a resource for weights, measures, calculators, converters.
- Unit Conversion – From the common feet to meters and gallons to liters, to more sophisticated measurement units like shoe and clothes sizes, Unit-conversion.info have it all here in one place.
- Numbeo – Provides information on world living conditions including cost of living, housing indicators, health care, traffic, crime and pollution.
- Time & Date – Current Time (World Clock) and online and printable Calendars for countries worldwide. Online services and Apps available for iPhone, iPad, and Android.
- Expat Health.org – Expat Health Insurance News and Health Tips.
- Expatriate Healthcare – Providers of International Healthcare for those living and working abroad.
- Globality Health – International health insurer with a special focus on expatriates.
- M Passport – Helps expats find doctors, medication details, and hospitals worldwide.
- International SOS – A global medical and travel security services company.
- iTriage Health – Medical symptom checker, locate care, and book appointments.
- My Languages – Offers free language tools in many languages, including dictionaries, translation keyboards and converters.
- Rosetta Stone – With over 30+ languages to choose from, Rosetta Stone is the premier language learning solution.
- Foreign Language Flashcards – Their goal is to provide quality, easy to use language flashcards in as many languages as possible, especially the lesser known languages.
- Live Mocha – Free online language learning with lessons, courses and other language-learning activities.
- My Happy Planet – Learn a language from native speakers around the world.
- LingoPass – Free language learning software matches you with a learner and a teacher.
- LingvoZone – LingvoSoft Online everything you need is right here, all the free tools and services: dictionaries, translators, flashcards, phrasebooks and forum.
- Busuu – Innovative online community for learning languages, directly from native speakers!
- Duolingo – Popular free way to learn a new language.
- Google Translate – Instant text translations for a rough estimate.
Law & Visa Information
- HG.org – Handy list of international links for laws worldwide.
- Project Visa – Visa and embassy information for all countries.
- CurrencyFair – The best way to transfer money abroad.
- Expensify – Aimed at business travel to make it easier to manage expense reports. Stores information and receipts.
- Nine Money Saving Tips – Tips for saving money when moving abroad.
- Pet Movers – Move your pets to your new location. With offices on 5 continents, Animal Land specializes in coordinating pet relocation to anywhere in world.
- Animal Airways – Helps you fly your pet to your new destination. Enjoy a simple, straight-forward travel experience – AnimalAirways helps you choose an airline and the most suitable route for your family and pet.
- PBS Pet Travel is a member of the International Pet and Animal Transportation Association, with over 20 years of experience transporting pets around the world.
- Realtor.com – Finding the right rentals, homes or land for sale in doesn’t have to be a daunting task. Realtor.com International has quite a few search options that could make looking for property in simpler.
- International Real Estate Directory – InternationalRealEstateDirectory is designed to be your one-stop destination for anything you can think of that is about or related to International Real Estate.
- Trusted Housesitters – Matches home and pet owners with trusted sitters to care for their home and pets.
- Move Bubble – Home management for owners and renters from a single online dashboard.
- CurrencyFair For Foreign Property – Best way to send or receive property-related funds.
Removals Service Review Apps
- Shoptrotter – Helps you plan shopping expeditions in most major cities around the world.
- Amazon – The monster-sized online shopping store.
- Global Gophers – Global shopping from no matter where you live.
- Time and Date – This Time Zone Converter calculates the time difference between several locations.
- The Time Zone Converter – TheTimeZoneConverter.com is a site that quickly converts times from one timezone to another.
- Expat Careers – ExpatCareers.com is the premier worldwide, all industry expatriate job site.
- LinkedIn – The business version of Facebook. Expand your network.
- Expat Hiring – International jobs site and search tools help expatriate jobseekers to find global employment opportunities and overseas jobs.
So there you have it – 100 excellent websites and apps to help you when you make the big move to another country.
Register with CurrencyFair today!